Jesus our lighthouse in the midst of the Covid storm.
The image below is of a lighthouse engulfed by the crashing waves. The storm is so violent that even the photographer from the helicopter above could feel the spray of the water!
Song: ‘My lighthouse with lyrics’ (Rend Collective)
Let’s pray: ‘Dear Lord, we thank you that you are the light of the world. Your glorious light shines in the darkness and blots it out. Help us Lord to be a light in this dark world through the power of your Holy Spirit who dwells within us.’
A lighthouse is made up of a tower and a beacon. Proverbs reminds us that ‘the name of the Lord is a fortified tower.’ (Proverbs 18:10). Jesus is a beacon of light for us. (John 8:12)
What issues are we wrestling with during this pandemic- mental health, social isolation, redundancy or restrictions in movement to name but a few?
The storms surrounding us, or within us, can be frightening but let us call to mind today that Jesus is our lighthouse. As the song says, He is the peace in our troubled sea and His great love will lead us through whatever we are facing. Let us spend a few moments laying whatever troubles us before the Lord and seek His face in our trials.
A lighthouse aids ships in navigating the seas and warns of dangerous areas. Jesus warns us if we enter troubled waters or unsafe areas. Let’s look at some supporting scripture passages:
- Jesus is the light of the world. (John 8:12)
- The Holy Spirit (the Spirit of Christ) guides us into all truth. (John 16:13)
- Jesus is the good shepherd who lays down His life for the sheep. (John 10: 14)
- Jesus warns us against greediness. (Luke 12:15)
- Jesus warns us that we can become a slave of sin. (John 8:34)
- God is the author of light. (Genesis 1:3).
- In Him there is no darkness. (1 John 1:5)
A lighthouse sends a series of signals (messages) by focussing the beams which help direct mariners. God messages us through His word (the bible and prophetic words spoken over us by others.)
- What signals or messages has God spoken over your life?
- What signals is God sending you today?
- Into what areas of your life is God focussing His beam?
We are called to be a light to others.
‘You are the light of the world…. Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.’ (Matthew 5:14-16)
A light is useless if it is not visible. It cannot shine into the darkness if it’s not put on display for others to see. We are called to pray for others. We are also called to offer practical help and support. (James 2:14).
How is God calling you be a light to others through prayer and action?