Hello! Welcome to our day of prayer and fasting.
The theme for the day – fixing our eyes on the unseen spiritual realm:
There is more to light than meets the eye! We see only a tiny portion of the spectrum of light. (about 0.0035 per cent) There are many kinds of light that our human eye just can’t see.
What is true in the natural is true also in the spiritual. This is why we are encouraged to ‘fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.’ (2 Corinthians 4:18).
Morning – We are children of the light
Because God is the author of light (Genesis 1:3) and Jesus is ‘the true light that gives light to everyone’ (John 1:9) we are called to be ‘children of the light and children of the day.’ (1 Thessalonians 5:5). Let us begin the day by worshipping Jesus.
This period of lockdown has been a time of slowing down for many and a golden opportunity to reflect upon what really matters in life. Jesus himself tells us what matters most. ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength …Love your neighbour as yourself.’ (Mark 29-31)
Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to your spirit as you meditate upon the following scripture passage. ‘What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived – the things God has prepared for those who love him.’ (2 Corinthians 2:9)
- Thank Jesus that we are children of God if we believe in his name. (John 1:12-13)
- Resolve not to focus on what the world has to offer-material possessions, status, and pleasures that are fleeting. (the visible spectrum)
- Pray that God would fill us with His love for others.
Lunchtime – let His light shine in your life.
Watch the following video on cutting steel beams by using a laser.
A laser produces a very narrow beam of light that can be focussed to cut through metal. Look at the video again and, as you do, allow the laser beam of the Holy Spirit to penetrate every area of your life.
‘But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.’ (Matthew 6:6)
- What difficult circumstances are you facing at the moment? Pray with faith to the God who ‘breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron.’ (Psalm107:16)
- When God’s Holy Spirit shines his light of truth and righteousness into our lives it can make us feel uncomfortable. Is God prompting you to repent or forgive others? If so, then willingly comply. ‘Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.’ (1Peter 5:6-7)
Evening – called to be a light to others
We love because he first loved us.’ (1 John 4:19)
Let us pick up on the theme from this morning. ‘No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open’(Luke 8: 16-17)
Many have heard of mother Teresa of Calcutta and how she laid down her life to serve the poor and needy. Reflect upon one of her famous statements:
‘It’s not about how much you do, but how much love you put into what you do that counts.’
The ultimate purpose of your life is love. ‘But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.’ (Luke 6:27). This is a mandate from Jesus love, do good, bless and pray for those who have wronged us.