Hello! Welcome to our day of prayer and fasting.
The theme for the day – you are “in Christ”:
2Co 1:20-21 NIV For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” [“this is true”] is spoken by us to the glory of God. (21) Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ.
2Co 5:17 NIV Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
We shall explore what this means for each of us in practical terms throughout the day.
Morning – your identity is in Christ
Our worth is based on what Christ did for us on the cross, not what the world says about us.
Look at this image, and read what it says you are “in Christ”. If you are unable to accept any of these truths, or if they take you by surprise, look up the references and read for yourself what God says about you as a Christ follower.
As a prophetic act, speak these truths out loud – declare them over your spirit:
“I am justified and declared to be righteous!
No condemnation awaits me!”
… and so on.
Praise and thank God for who you are in Christ – and start believing it.
- Ask God, by his Holy Spirit who indwells you, to confirm these truths and cement them into your image of who you are.
- Pray for those who have a low sense of self-worth or feel shame or guilt as a result of their past lives. Pray that they may find true worth and new hope in Jesus.
- Pray for the churches we have planted around the North East. Pray for Will & Elyse Horner in York, for Matt & Rachel Broughton in Sunderland and for Jeremy & Sue Goulding in Durham. May they see an abundant increase of the Kingdom in those areas.
Lunchtime – your call to action is in Christ
I’ve been reading a really challenging book over the last few days and I highly recommend it to you.
In Chapter 3 – “Walking on Water”, Gavin and Anne write:
“Many of our contemporaries seem consumed by home ownership, kids, school places, nice holidays, work/life balance, and physical fitness.
There’s nothing wrong with these things, but …
“We need to start extending our prophetic imaginations as to what is possible. We need a gear change in Christianity: a new perspective that remembers our identity in Christ and seeks to transform his world. The pastor Malcolm Macdonald puts it this way: ‘We spend our lives seeking safety, ease and comfort. Yet, the church in the New Testament ran towards sacrifice, servanthood and risk. What is our goal in life: getting our needs met or laying our lives down? Is it time we refocused our priorities?”
- If you are artistic, craft, draw or paint an image that illustrates your heart response to this; or
- Take a walk and talk with Jesus – ask him “where next Lord?”; or
- Sit quietly and meditate on the Calvers’ challenge. Write down what God says to you.
- Pray this for yourself – “In Christ, I am braver than I believe, stronger than I seem and smarter than I think (cf. Phil. 4:13). Lord help me to follow where you lead.”
- Pray for the work of Junction 42. (see https://www.junction42.org)
- Pray for the work of Three 13 (see https://www.three13.co.uk).
Evening – your hope is in Christ
Sing along with Kristyn Getty:
Col 1:26-27 NLT This message was kept secret for centuries and generations past, but now it has been revealed to God’s people. (27) For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing His glory.
2Co 3:18 NLT So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like Him as we are changed into His glorious image.
I’ve used the New Living Translation’s version of Col. 1:26-27 to make it easier to understand. When taken along with 2 Corinthians 3:18, the meaning is clear:
- Christ lives in you through the Holy Spirit.
- You have an assured hope of becoming ever more like Jesus, i.e., sharing his glory.
- Jesus declares you are not hopeless, but filled with hope, because you are in Christ!
- Your potential is restricted only by the lies you believe and the limits you place upon yourself!
- Pray that God might show us all that it means to be in Christ.
- Pray for an unleashing of the people of God – to be and to do all that he has called us to accomplish!
Amen – let God be praised!